Sunday, April 10, 2011

Update on Draft 2.4

For this past week I was intending to update the SSRN version of Self-Exclusion, and to submit it to a journal; both tasks were accomplished, amazingly. I also was supposed to prepare and survive this week's talk (number two of four), and I did; the most taxing one is next week, though. (The audience for this past week's talk might disagree with my relative taxation claim.) The other, ongoing tasks were to make progress on reading three books:

(1) The Saloon Problem and Social Reform, by John Marshall Barker, 1905;

(2) Last Call, by Daniel Okrent, 2010; and,

(3) All or Nothing, by Jessica Warner, 2008.

Here's where things stand, in terms of pages read: Barker, 64 out of 212, up (barely) from 58 last week; Okrent, 26 out of 469 again, though in the skip-ahead section, I'm at page 340, intending to go to page 371; this is up (barely) from page 328 last week. I did better with Warner, where I have read the first 106 of 230 pages (up from 12 pages completed as of last week). So these three books will be mentioned on a few more Five Drafts posts.

For the coming week, my chief goal is to put together and rehearse a decent talk -- the real one (number three of four) is slated for April 17. If I make progress on reading the books, so much the better. I have two nagging tasks, unrelated to this blog: one involves writing a book review and the other is to prepare my taxes. So maybe I am a good judge of relative taxation?

No comments:

Post a Comment