Sunday, April 3, 2011

Update on Draft 2.3

My minimal plan for progress towards Draft Three is moving ahead at the more-or-less expected glacial pace. The good news is that I did indeed enter the edits to Self-Exclusion and to Draft Two. I did not submit Self-Exclusion to a journal, however, nor update the ssrn version. These are tasks for the forthcoming week, then.

The assiduous Five Drafts reader will recall that I hope to finish reading three books relevant to the Five Drafts project by April 20, and have committed to providing page numbers of the material already completed as a way of assessing progress. The books are:

(1) The Saloon Problem and Social Reform, by John Marshall Barker, 1905;

(2) Last Call, by Daniel Okrent, 2010; and,

(3) All or Nothing, by Jessica Warner, 2008.

Here's where things stand: Barker, 58 out of 212, up from 47 last week; Okrent, 26 out of 469, up from 14 last week; and Warner, 12 out of 230 (up from 6). In short, a pathetic performance. In recognition of the lack of progress, I have skipped ahead in Okrent, because the end of alcohol Prohibition is my chief concern. So I have also read pages 313 to 328 of Last Call, with the intention of soon getting to page 371.

The first of my scheduled four talks this month that relate to the Five Drafts project took place yesterday. That went OK, and I hope that the experience will ease this week's talk, scheduled for Friday. So this week's plan is simple. Prepare and survive the talk, re-post and submit Self-Exclusion (as described above), and make progress on the three books sub-project. Serious thinking for evolving Draft Two towards Draft Three remains postponed until April 18 or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment