Sunday, March 27, 2011

Update on Draft 2.2

Other commitments over the next month precipitated a pared-down agenda as Draft Two morphs into Draft Three, which is due on April 27.

There are three books relevant for Five Drafts that I hope to read by April 20 or so; I mentioned all three of them before. They are:

(1) The Saloon Problem and Social Reform, by John Marshall Barker, 1905;

(2) Last Call, by Daniel Okrent, 2010; and,

(3) All or Nothing, by Jessica Warner, 2008. I'll just record where things stand on these three books, in terms of the pages I have read and the total pages required:

Barker, 47 out of 212; Okrent, 14 out of 469; and Warner, 6 out of 230. Not a happy picture so far, but a record that leaves lots of room for improvement. If and when I make progress, I hope to memorialize in Five Drafts some of what I learn from these books.

I have prepared hand-written revisions to Self-Exclusion, but have not yet entered them -- I hope to finish that task this week, and as noted, possibly submit the paper for publication or rejection. I have made some brief handwritten edits to Draft Two, too, but again, have not entered them.

Those other commitments that I have so mysteriously alluded to include four public presentations before the end of April: all of these presentations are related to, though not coincident with, the work for this blog. So my hope is that even if those commitments detract from the emergence of Draft Three in the short run, they will complement it in the long(er) run. Tomorrow's start of the Spring quarter at the University of Chicago means that a new class is starting up, one that does not overlap much with the Five Drafts project; the name of the course is "Regulating Speech."

No comments:

Post a Comment