Monday, May 23, 2011

Update on Draft 3.3

The theme of this week's efforts has been "Addition By Subtraction." The first round of edits of Draft Three has been entered, and they mostly consisted of excisions, including the erstwhile sections 2.3 and 2.4 on Portugal and California. The other subtraction, long threatened but overdue in execution, is my quondam intention to read in toto that 1905 book attacking saloons from a Christian perspective; I have abandoned that masochistic enterprise after 96 pages (out of 212), though I will glance through the rest of it at some point. That subtraction (er, addition), leaves three books in the background reading pile:

(1) Last Call, by Daniel Okrent, 2010;

(2) Addiction: A Disorder of Choice, by Gene M. Heyman, 2009; and,

(3) Carrots and Sticks, by Ian Ayres, 2010.

For the Okrent book, I have now read the first 130 pages (up from 96) out of 496, but I also have read everything after page 310, so I am farther along than it sounds (or so I tell myself); in the Heyman book, I am at 70 of 200 pages, up from last week's 43; and for Ayres, still only at 26 out of 218 pages, up from 14.

I did not look more deeply into licensing; as a result, that task moves (again) into the coming week. More generally, my goal is to deepen the current version, so I want to learn more about a lot of topics, including behavioral economics choice theories, and to enter into "continuous improvement" mode on the draft, now that I believe I have a structure in place that will be stable through the final version. But we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment